I watch Food Network alot. I don't actually cook very much, but I feel highly prepared to based on the number of "30 Minute Meals" I've taken in. I know I shouldn't like Rachael Ray, but I can't really help it. However, I have less tolerance for other Food personalities. Sandra Lee, for example, sucks. She puts store-bought icing on a store-bought cupcake, sticks a dumb flower in it and puts it on her "tablescape." Ridiculous. But even worse than her is Guy Fieri. What a fruit loop. He's like 45 years old and dresses like a gawky teenager from Iowa imitating the West Coast. Armbands, Guy? Really?
Anyway if you've seen "Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives," you'll know that he cruises the country in a super-cool Ford Mustang (douche sign #1) looking for all the best down-home cookin'. Which, of course, brought him to Fairhope. (N.B. One local article called Guy "beefy." I think that's putting it nicely.) Guy and his crack team of food tv-ers visited Panini Pete's, which deserves all the fame it can get. I like the tomato and mozz panini with basil and the balsamic reduction. Also the homemade chips. Also the key lime pie.
Pete himself is quite the character. He rides a Segue and wears a weird chef beret. I'm interested to see how this translates on the show because Guy has a tendency to take over and squelch any other personalities in the immediate area. A shock, I know: the guy with the spiky bleached hair craves attention.
I'm hoping Anthony Bourdain will be perusing the Food Network this Monday at 10/9 Central and will see the quaint charm of our little village, deciding at once to pay us a visit. I would take him to Ivy's, which has an awesome tasting menu paired with various wines, and then for a little cultural flavor take him fish-gigging during a jubilee.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
It's not a Mustang...but he is a douche
Post a Comment