When I was a pre-teen, or even "tween" as they say now, I loved me some Lifetime. It was so angsty. But since I emerged from the cocoon of puberty as a beautiful butterfly, I have tried to keep my Lifetime viewing to a minimum, and that includes "Unsolved Mysteries" and "Designing Women."
Even without being a regular viewer, I am aware of the show "Army Wives," which apparently tries to document the trials of being a military spouse (mostly a wife, but I think there's a token husband in there too...as a matter of fact, I know there is, and he also serves as the token black character! Lifetime is a careful steward of its resources). I watched a piece of it once, after a friend of mine went to the "Army Wives" party here in Charleston (Imagine the lamest party you've ever been to. Now invite your great-aunt. NOW require jello molds.).
I, being a female of the modern world, have a pretty high tolerance for sexism in the media. I'm conditioned to love it, and to allow it to convince me to buy things like shiny-hair shampoo and a membership to eHarmony. But "Army Wives" was ridic.
I watched 2 scenes. Scene 1:
Man outside with 3 (tiny boy) children "working" on family car. Children proceed to spill oil everywhere and generally fuck things up. Enter wife and pre-teen daughter. Daughter is told to go clean the boys up from their "learning experience" with dad, the purpose of which is to make sure they can take care of their mom while he's gone. Yeahright.
Scene 2:
Token husband talking to wife. He's upset because since she got back from FIGHTING A WAR in IRAQ he's had to sleep on the couch. Apparently intimacy isn't on her to-do list after trying to PROTECT HERSELF FROM GETTING KILLED for the last year or so. Geez!
But I digress. The purpose of this post is actually to note the presence of one of the "Army Wives" castmembers right here in Charleston. According to our working-girl-on-the-scene Rebecca, Richard Bryant was at her law office. I quote: "Richard Bryant (the very adorable, troubled son on Army Wives) was in MY OFFICE THIS MORNING! That's right. 5 exchange street was graced with a cable drama star. He was here visiting his mom, a paralegal. I've heard rumors of his visits but today, I saw it. Live in color. He's so much cuter in person than on tv. and totally not abusive, like his character."
You heard it here first. Unless you talked to Rebecca today. Then, you heard it hear second.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
that's so awesome. this is officially my new favorite blog.
Post a Comment